June 30, 2011

MONA

Actor James Franco recently helped to create the MONA. The Museum of Non-Visible Art. And no, this is not a joke. Check out the article here.
Along with two others Franco is now making money selling plaques describing artwork. So basically they are making tons of money selling pieces of paper describing something that none of these people could probably ever paint/create. In a way I want to say props to James Franco, I mean if you can find people dumb enough to buy something like that maybe you deserve to make money off their stupidity. I'm not saying everyone who goes to this place or buys a piece of its "art" is an idiot, I get that the MONA is trying to be modern and innovative. It's a way for people to express themselves creatively, and there are probably some rich people out there with way too much money who will spend tons to have the first invisible art. However, for the majority of the population I think this will be seen as a waste of time. I mean I could write up a description of something on a piece of paper, does that mean I could actually paint or sculpt it? No, it just means I can write creatively, and I don't think I should make money off that (unless I am turning it into a book or something). Leave the artwork to people with genuine talent, who can turn a good eye into a photograph, or a lump of clay into a vase.

Besides, would you want to pay admission to a museum only to walk inside and find the walls blank except for plaques reading something like:
Orange and white cat slaps person in face while jumping in the air
I sure wouldn't. 

No comments:

Post a Comment