January 20, 2010

School Week 2

"Do not look back and grieve over the past, for it is gone. Do not be troubled about the future for it has not yet come. Live in the present and make it so beautiful that it will be worth remembering."

Week two of class is off to a fabulous start...
Yesterday we were off for MLK day and I had volunteer training for my Psy 3V90 class. Basically this is a psychology class where you get class credit and clinical experience by volunteering for a predeterminded number of hours that you choose each week somewhere in the community. So you can go all sorts of places like the VA, a substance abuse clinic, the advocacy center, etc, etc. I'm volunteering with two of my friends at Waco Center for Youth, It's a mental health facility for kids 13-17 who are behaviorally or emotionally disturbed. Basically these kids have been court ordered or sent here by their parents and they live, go to school and see psychiatrists and psychologists on this campus. It's a really cool place, they have a cool ministry program, and they have like arts and crafts sessions, and levels the kids work though and even a horse barn. So hopefully i'll be working in the horse barn with the spurs program since I have experience there. If I don't get to work there hopefully i'll be assigned to a unit and work with kids on the unit while they're doing various activities. It should be a really cool experience and I'm looking forward to it.

Today was day one of job training at the telecounseling center! It went really well and was actually a lot of fun. We did paperwork and looked over some manuals, they showed us how the computer system works and we talked about rules and got binders full of all sorts of Baylor facts. Then we got to make practice calls, so everyone who was training went to an office and we talked to kids who already are telecounselors and pretended they were students who had been accepted to Baylor. I talked to BonQuiQui, it was pretty entertaining. Tomorrow is our second day of training and then we make schedules and the first day we can work is Thursday!

I'm really loving my 20th Century Britain class. It's all pop culture, and the professor is British and hilarious. We get to watch videos, and listen to music, and talk about tv shows and fast food and clothes. The only grades all semester are two research papers over any aspect of British culture we want to write about in the 20th century. So studying for this class is cool beacuse I just google things and go on you tube. I spent awhile today reading different things and looking at the BBC website, and old Times articals and The Sun website. I'm also loving psychopatholoy, we get to write a paper diagnosing some media figure (fictional or not) and talking about treatment and progression of the disorder we think they have. It's pretty cool. Actually all my classes are awesome this semseter (well minus Italian, I'm just ready to be done with that stressful class). Drugs and Behavior is really interesting, we're mostly talking about drug history and legislation right now so we haven't gotten into specifics but it seems cool, I just know the tests are going to be really hard.

On another note this weekend was pretty cool too. I saw Leap Year on Friday night. It was really cute, a little cheesy and predictable, but that is to be expected it's a romantic comedy after all. It was enjoyable and the scenery in Ireland was really pretty. On Saturday Reagan and I went to see Youth In Revolt, which I really liked. It's about a guy named Nick who falls in love with a girl named Sheeni and would do anything to be with her, including burn down half a town, run from the cops, and get her kicked out of boarding school. He creates an alternate persona of himself that is bad and does all the things he would never do. It was a good film, funny, but intelligently so, not full of stupid crude humor. The phi chi graffiti party was Saturday night (see pictures below), and it was a lot of fun. Emily, Susie, and I had a blast spray painting each other and all our friends. Ashley, Emily, and I also went to karaoke Sunday which is always awesome.


No comments:

Post a Comment