September 08, 2010

Why Hello Septmember

School is quickly moving along, it's already week 3 here, we had a long weekend, and I made a resume. Excitement all around. 
Let me start this post off with a few disclaimers 1) I don't have all the details on this, I don't personally know the guys involved 2) I realize that when I chose Baylor I was going to a private Baptist school and that it would be more conservative here.
Anyway, with that said something happened this week that just really bothered me. There is a fraternity on campus that is a local group and considers itself to be a christian group (I know a bunch of them and for the most part they are nice guys). Like I said, I don't have all the details on this but I guess in their bylaws it says they don't accept members who are gay (how a group of 18-20 something year old guys could seriously all vote for this amazes me). Well anyway I guess one of their members was sending forward text messages to other members and this made the guys involved uncomfortable, any way this basically forced outed the guy and he was brought to standards. Well I guess it was decided that the guy would be asked to go early alum (basically a nice way of kicking you out without actually revoking your membership). Now this whole situation really bothers me, first of all it's not a particularly "Christian" thing to do, second poor guy, he just came out which I'm sure was hard for him and now his group of friends is rejecting him for being himself. Like how shitty is that? When you join a frat you choose the group and the group chooses you, and to then later reject someone because of sexual preference is pretty crappy. This is the point in time when you should be there for someone, not isolate them and act like it's not ok to be who they are. Maybe this just bothered me because I have quite a few gay friends, and even a family member but I don't think you should look at someone differently because of their sexual orientation and it's really sad to think that a group would still do this, I mean I'd like to think the students here for the most part are very welcoming, and this says otherwise. It also makes me lose respect for the group as a whole.
On another note, I went to church this past weekend (sorry not Catholic church Mom) with my roommate and really enjoyed it. The topic of the week was "Happily Ever After" so it was about things you should be looking for in relationships and how a relationship should be a conscious decision made by both parties involved. It was an interesting sermon, and while I didn't agree with everything said I still enjoyed it.
Alright peeps, first test of the semester tomorrow morning so I've got to get to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment